Saturday, June 25, 2011

Patterns on Ceilings


Ceilings are often overlooked and neglected but they can make a big design statement when an interesting pattern is applied.  I love this intricate pattern added to the ceiling in this room by Martin Lawrence-Bullard.  It's such a nice contrast in scale to the drapery pattern and repeats that detail in the carved table and chairs. 




Erin Martin - House Beautiful

This makes me want to sing!  Bold and beautiful.







William Diamond, Anthony Baratta - House Beautiful

The playful pattern marries the color palette so well and brings the bright color up to the top part of the space.





Traditional Home

Jill Zarin's daughter's room has a lovely, feminine pattern on the ceiling.  This room would be so plain and ordinary without it.


Jamie Drake - Traditional Home

Lovely, tailored, thoughtful, complete. 





Gideon Mendelson - House Beautiful

I love how the pattern is used  here.  Lively, colorful, and vibrant.  This room would be just another white kitchen without it. 



Robin Bell - House Beautiful

Such a striking image and one of my favorites!  This outdoor space is all about that gorgeous pattern.



14 comments:

Karena said...

Carla, that first kitchen, ahhh, simply gorgeous!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

I have a New, very fashionable Giveaway on my site! Come and see!

Splendid Sass said...

Love the gray, and the green check? LOVE!
The ceiling is definitely something we need to think more about.
Beautiful images, Carla.
Teresa
xoxo

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

I love, love patterns on ceilings and these are fabulous!

Kifus said...

You are quite right that ceilings are are one of the last things we thing about when decorating. Love the kitchen in the second photograph!

Kellie Collis said...

How beautiful! The blue kitchen is to die for! Enjoy the lovely week ahead, Kellie xx

Anonymous said...

I think ceilings are the last great unexplored frontier of decor...they seemed to be overlooked yet so much can be done to bring them back into the room...and be something other than an after thought..love these examples that you use..all very tasteful and illustrate the concept very nicely...I especially love the last pic by Robin Bell...
maureen

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Stunning...but the idea of the intricate painting...upside-down...gives me a headache!

Unknown said...

The one by Gideon Mendelson was done on a canvas and then applied to the ceiling. Stencils help!

I know plenty of artists/finishers who would love some projects like this.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Absolutely marvelous examples of what a huge impact pattern on ceilings can make. Carla I enjoyed each photo as if I were eating a delicious bowl of Ben & Jerry's! I papered a bathroom ceiling once in a hold farm house with tall ceilings and gorgeous moldings. I absolutely loved it when I was done. I hope you have a great week Carla and a happy 4th of July weekend!

Ann said...

That's an interesting design idea,
but I don't think I can have a ceiling with too much intricate pattern especially on my bedroom. I might not be able to sleep looking at it:)

But I love the blue and white one on the fourth pic, maybe for the guest room.

Heather said...

My favorite is also Jill Zarin's daughter's blue room - it's almost like the chandelier is throwing its shadows on the ceiling.

under spanish moss said...

Wow, what an impact! The outdoor space is our favorite. Hope your having a great week.

Anonymous said...

Love the green gingham ceiling! Such a cute touch!
xo E + J

Joanna said...

lovely design ideas! Cool post, check out also 3D Rendering

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds or to create a website.